Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content



 How to Receive Transferred Benefits

  1. Complete the Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) though your DOD component and be approved. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
  2. Once your transfer request is approved, your request data is sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).
  3. Each family member must first apply for a certificate of eligibility from the DVA before they can use their transferred benefits.
  4. The application for the certificate of eligibility (VA Form 22-1990E) can be found through the Department of Veterans Affairs’ VONAPP Web Site. The following are Step-by Step instructions for VONAPP
    1. Log onto the VA’s application for benefits website otherwise known as VONAPP
    2. Complete a VA Form 22-1990E
    3. Upload a copy of your supporting documents
      • DD 214 with qualifying Active Duty Service
      • If Applicable, a current copy of active duty orders with qualifying service
    4. Submit your application
    5. Contact the VA Certifying Official at your school and let them know that you have submitted your application for transferred educational benefits via VONAPP.
  5. After the VA receives your application they will send you a Certificate of Eligibility
  6. After receiving their certificates of eligibility from the DVA, your family members must provide the certificates to the school.
Note: If your family members do not receive their certificates of eligibility from the DVA before they enroll in school, they should ask the veterans’ certifying official at the school to submit to the DVA an enrollment certification for the academic term.

 Additional Information