Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Submitting a Transfer Request
1. Use your CAC card, DoD Self-Service Logon, or DFAS pin (myPay) to log on to the DoD
Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) Web application.
When you click on the link to step 1, it will ask you which program you want to log-into. Choose Mil-Connect. Once logged in to Mil-Connect, click on the "Transfer of Education Benefits" link located on the far right-hand side of the screen.

When the Submit Transfer Request (Home) page displays, your family members are listed in
the table under the List of Family Members section.

Note: If a family member is not eligible for DEERS benefits, and thus is not eligible to
receive transferred benefits, an N/A instead of a Yes link appears in the Transfer
column for that family member.

2. To transfer benefit months to a family member, locate the name of the appropriate family
member in the table and click Yes in the Transfer column. The Transfer Months page

3. On the Transfer Months page, specify a Transfer Begin Date, an optional Transfer End Date,
and the number of Transfer Months, then click OK. Repeat this process for each of your
family members.

Note: Spouses can use their benefit for 15 years after the member separates/retires; children
can use their benefits until their 26th birthdays.

4. Once you have transfer months assigned to each family member, you must submit your
transfer request for approval by doing the following in the Submit Transfer Request (Home)

   . Select the “Post-9/11 GI Bill Chapter 33” check box in the Education Benefit Program 

   . Select all the boxes in the Transferability of Education Benefits section to indicate that 
     you have read and understand each statement.

  . Click the Submit Request button.

If the submission is successful, a Submit Confirmation page displays. Click the Return to
Editing button in this page to return to the Submit Transfer Request (Home) page.
After you have submitted your transfer request, the Information section at the top of the
Submit Transfer Request (Home) page updates to show that the Status is now ‘Submitted’.
The Status Date is blank and will remain blank until a Service Representative approves,
rejects or sets your request to a pending status.

5. To track the status of your request, you will need to return to the TEB Web Application to
check the ‘Status’ in the Information section. Once your request is approved, the status will
be updated to ‘Request Approved’ and the approval Status Date will be set to the date the
Service Representative approved the request. An Approval Form also becomes available
once your request is approved:

Click Approval Form to view or print the approval confirmation.
6. Once your transfer request is approved, your request data is sent to the Department of
Veterans Affairs (DVA). Each family member must first apply for a certificate of eligibility
from the DVA before they can use their transferred benefits. Once the DVA receives the
request data and VA Form 22-1990E, they will be able to process your family members’
requests to use their benefits. The application for the certificate of eligibility (VA Form 22-
1990E) can be found through the Department of Veterans Affairs’ VONAPP Web Site
( A paper form is also available at Or you can call the DVA for
Education Benefits information at 1-888-GIBILL1.

7. After receiving their certificates of eligibility from the DVA, your family members must
provide the certificates to the school.

8. If your family members do not receive their certificates of eligibility from the DVA before
they enroll in school, they should ask the veterans’ certifying official at the school to submit
to the DVA an enrollment certification for the academic term.

Tuition funds will be sent direct from the DVA to the school. Children using months of
transferred benefit will receive the monthly living stipend and the books and supplies stipend. A
spouse using a transferred benefit will only receive the monthly living stipend. A spouse may
also be eligible for the books and supplies stipend if he/she uses the benefit after you separate
from active duty.