You can receive GI Bill Benefits by following the steps below:
1) Log onto the VA’s application for benefits website otherwise known as VONAPP
2) If you have never used your GI Bill benefits before, complete a VA Form 22-1990. If you have previously used your GI Bill benefits, complete a VA Form 22-1995.
3) When asked which GI Bill you are applying for, only choose 1.
4) Upload a copy of your supporting document(s).
o DD 2366 for Ch 30 (MGIB-AD)
o DD 2366-1 for Plus-Up/Buy-Up
o DD 214 for Ch 1607 (REAP)/Ch 33 (Post 9/11)
o GI Bill Kicker contract if applicable
5) Submit your application.
6) Contact the VA Certifying Official at your school and let them know that you have submitted your application for educational benefits via VONAPP.
7) You will need to verify your enrollment each month by logging into WAVE. If you are unable to log into WAVE, more than likely the VA is still processing your application.
WAVE IS NOT REQUIRED IF YOU ARE USING BENEFITS UNDER THE CH 33 POST 9/11 GI BILL PROGRAM.
It can take between 60-120 days to update all necessary databases necessary to process your application. You will receive your benefits once the VA has processed your application.