Headquartered in Clinton, N.C. The 30th Armored Brigade Combat Team (ABCT) has a long and distinguished history that dates back to the first World War. One of the five major support command, or MSC, in the North Carolina Army National Guard, the unit is a Armor Brigade Combat Team in the new modular formation. Designed to primarily be self-sufficient on the battlefield, with 3,800 soldiers headquartered in armories across North Carolina and West Virginia, its equipment includes the M1-A1 Abrams Main Battle Tank, The M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle and the 155-Millimeter Self-Propelled Paladin Howitzer.
The Brigade began its service as the 30th Infantry Division on July 18, 1917. Known as the 'Old Hickory' Division after President Andrew Jackson. It formed from State Militia and Guard Units from North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennesse.
The Unit was called to active federal service in August of 1917 for duty in Europe as the U.S. entered the First World War. The 30th was activated again in September of 1940 as part of a general expansion of the U.S. Military as World War II approached. Reactivated in 1947. The Unit became solely a North Carolina Unit in 1954.
The Unit has seen multiple deployments in Operation Iraqi Freedom and in 2005 it began transformation to a modular configuration preparing it for future full spectrum operations.